Latest News

Beckham wants to stay at AC Milan, leave LA Galaxy

Thursday, February 5, 2009 , Posted by Linda at 11:09 AM

GLASGOW, Scotland – David Beckham wants to leave the Los Angeles Galaxy and stay with AC Milan after his stay with the Italian team ends next month.

AC Milan's David Beckham, left, takes a shot towards goal past Rangers' PedroAC Milan's David Beckham, left, takes a shot towards goal past Rangers' Pedro Mendes, right

The English midfielder announced his intentions Wednesday after playing in Milan's 2-2 tie at Glasgow Rangers. Beckham has played well with the Italian club during his three-month loan, which is up March 8.

"At the moment my lawyers are not talking to the Galaxy," Beckham said. "But I have expressed my desire to stay at AC Milan now, and it's just down to Milan and Galaxy to come to an agreement."

"I have enjoyed my time here," he added. "I knew I would enjoy it but I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I have and do as well as I have."

Beckham is about two years into a $32.5 million, five-year contract with Major League Soccer. The Galaxy had no immediate comment.

"At this point it's out of my hands," the 33-year-old star said. "I've said what my feelings are to both clubs."

Since coming to Italy, Beckham has scored twice and helped to lift Milan to second place in the Serie A standings.

"At the moment I'm still a Galaxy player," he said. "I respect the Galaxy and everything they have done for me. They have always been great to me."

Beckham wants to maintain his place on the England national team and play at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Before joining AC Milan, he said playing in Italy would allow him to stay in shape.

"To be given the chance again to play at this level at my age is pretty incredible and I've enjoyed it so much I would like to continue it," he said. "I think people have seen the way I've been since playing at this level again."

"It's nothing against the MLS and the football over there because it's a game that will grow, but it will take quite a few years," he added. "I'm still confident that will happen eventually, but I want to have a chance of being involved in 2010 and I believe my best chance of doing so is to remain here."

Currently have 0 comments: