Latest News

Want to play better? Lose the cap, says Murray

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 , Posted by Linda at 10:51 AM

MELBOURNE – Britain's Andy Murray reached the top of world tennis with intensive training, working year-round with his team of coaches and physios.

Want to play better? Lose the cap, says Murray British hope Andy Murray, seen here, was handed an easy passage into the Australian Open second round

And he's taken off his cap.

Since losing the ever-present white headgear, the world number four says he's in the form of his life.

"I don't know, it's just something that I changed. Since I stopped wearing a cap, I've played much better," he mused after making the Australian Open second round on Tuesday without a hat despite blinding sun.

Murray has remained hatless in recent months as he became tennis's hottest property, beating Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer and being named the bookies' favourite for the Australian Open title.

"I used to always wear a cap for matches, and didn't used to practice with one really at all. I wanted to get a bit more sort of continuity in what I was doing," he said.

"I just felt like when I was playing, if I had really long hair I would still wear a cap because it would obviously get in my eyes.

"But when I'd keep my hair short, I don't think it doesn't make a huge difference. Even when the sun's there, the cap doesn't really protect you that much."

Novak Djokovic is the only top-four player who regularly wears a cap, with Federer and Nadal usually staying bare-headed.

Cap-wearing Andy Roddick's last Grand Slam win came in 2003, while Lleyton Hewitt, who famously prefers his hat backwards, has slid down the rankings to 70.

Currently have 1 comments:

  1. Anonymous says:

    Sometimes its just about change. The word "Superstition" was invented for sports players. There have been many in history who would put their left sock first every single day or wear the same gloves, shoes. Not wash clothes and what not.

    For Murray, it might be that he plays better without the cap. I know I saw talent in the lad with or without the cap and he has just developed into something great. He is my bet for next Number 1, before end of this year.