Latest News

Brazilian star set to join US women's league

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 , Posted by Linda at 10:47 AM

LOS ANGELES – Brazilian forward Marta, who won her third FIFA Women's World Player of the Year award for her 2008 heroics, will join the Los Angeles Sol of Women's Professional Soccer for the upcoming season.

Brazilian star set to join US women's league Brazilian forward Marta, seen here posing in Zurich after winning her third FIFA Women's World Player

Marta, who turns 23 next month, led the Brazilians to the 2007 Women's World Cup final in China, where they lost to Germany, and silver-medal finishes at the 2004 and 2008 Olympics. She most recently played for Umea IK of Sweden.

"Of course I am sad I am leaving, but I am happy because a new project is beginning. It is time to start something new," Marta said.

Trying to light a football spark in America similar to what England's David Beckham attempted with the Los Angeles Galaxy, Marta will try to revive US pro women's soccer six years after the Women's United Soccer Association folded.

"I understand the challenge and project ahead of me with the Los Angeles Sol," she said. "I'm ready to take it on and conquer all the objectives in front of me in the United States.

"I have in mind that a very competitive league will be created. We are looking at the future. I think it will attract many players."

The Sol will host the Washington Freedom on March 29 in the new league's inaugural match.

"We're all excited about what Marta and her world class talents will bring to the league," Women's Pro Soccer commissioner Tonya Antonucci said.

Currently have 0 comments: